Church Building

The parish of Goostrey is first mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, and the first Goostrey Chapel was built around 1200. The old church was timber framed and three of the present six bells were in the original church tower. At the back of the church we still have the 15th Century font, on which can be seen marks made by the weapons of invading swordsmen.

The church was restored in 1711, and then in 1792 the old wooden church was replaced by a brick building designed by the village bricksetter. Aisles were added later to accommodate the gentry.
Font

Font

Interior of St Luke's Church Circa 1900

In 1876 the church was restored and the interior refurbished to include the pulpit, lectern and sanctuary panelling. The five beautiful painted glass windows were fitted about the same time. The three more modern bells were also acquired in the late 19th century.

Interior of St Luke's Church Circa 1900
Reproduction of a post card owned by Mr. & Mrs Tony Carter

Crypt

The crypt underneath the nave of the church was constructed as a central section with four arched bays, and had originally been used by local gentry as family burial sites. Until 1998, the crypt contained 25 ancient coffins, with plaques commemorating the people buried there. Over the years, the wooden outer parts of the coffins had disintegrated, leaving only the lead linings which were also deteriorating. After seeking professional advice, these were re-interred in specially constructed graves in the burial ground opposite the church. The plaques remain in the crypt and have been affixed to the end wall.

Yew Tree

Yew Tree

The majestic yew tree just beside the entrance to the church is believed to be around 1200 years old. Just inside the door, a framed certificate from a Preservation Trust records its age.

Yew Tree Certificate

Yew Tree

Certificate

School Building

In 1640, there was a church school adjacent to the North wall of the church. When the church was rebuilt in 1792, the school moved into the Old School House, one of the oldest buildings in Goostrey. The present school building on that site was erected in 1856. The school retained its status as a church school until 1977,when the new Infants' Department was built across the road as part of a joint use project including the new Village Hall.

The Old School House

Goostrey Junior School

The Old School House Goostrey Junior School